Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wahoo Alley

One day, we decided to take a crack at a place called Wahoo Alley. It's on the southwest side of the Atoll. It is legendary around the world for large numbers of Wahoo. There's just one problem. To get to Wahoo Alley, you need to go over some rough water. What causes that rough water is an abrupt rise in the ocean floor from very deep, up to a shelf around 200 feet deep. The current comes from around the northeast side of the island and whips around it the south side to the west. When that current hits the rise in the ocean floor, it creates a rip - about 15 miles wide. Needless to say, there was no way for us to go around it - so we went through it. The attached video is from before it got really rough, at which point I was more concerned with hanging on than shooting video.



I'm normally up for this kind of thing in a big way, but I must admit - even I got a bit concerned. I probably should have done what Ken did and bring a PFD out there with me too. I could only compare it to that show "The Deadliest Catch". We had this outrigger going over swell tips so high and steep that only the middle of the outrigger was touching water, with the bow and stern completely out of water, and I mean by more than a few feet. My concern was that if you fall in or that pile of planks and ropes comes unraveled, that this current would take you to Australia, and there's nobody to perform a rescue here. In fact, the closest thing is the Coast Guard in Hawaii, some 1400 miles away. That current that causes that rip around the Atoll is downright violent.

Anyway, so after we get through the rough stuff, we started trolling. I got into a few Wahoo, but they broke off, and I later found that the 48 lb wire I was using simply wasn't cutting it - or more precisely - the Wahoo were cutting it. I was dumb for not going to the single-strand 60lb wire I had immediately after the first one cut through. It was fun to have them on for a short time though. They are the second fastest fish in the ocean, next to the Blue Marlin. You have to troll at full throttle to entice these things to strike. Well needless to say, we didn't land any Wahoo, and Ken and I agreed that it probably wasn't worth going through that rip again. I was a bit down after that - I was really up on getting a hoo.

[Ken] If you decide to go to Christmas, bring a PFD! (and a small safety strobe light and a portable VHF radio) I'm glad I did. There are no PFD's on the boat. I debated bringing one or not because it did take up a lot of space. My plan was to leave it with the boat for future clients but I ended up using it to protect some rods in my luggage for the trip home. Our boat did have a VHF radio but it doesn't hurt to have a backup and I really don't know if all the boats/guides have them.

[Ken] Wahoo alley was insane and from what I was told we had hit it on some really rough days even for Christams Island. Would I do Wahoo Alley again? Yep, however, I will compare it to my first visit and if conditions are even close to the last time I am requesting the boat turn around. My seasick pills came in handy.

No comments: